You know those recipes that are so laden with cheese and calories that you just know it’s going to be amazingly good? This is one of those recipes. I won’t lie, y’all… these Barbecue Beef Cups are in no way health food. These biscuit cups are chock full of ground beef, barbecue sauce and cheese, but if that sounds good to you and you don’t mind the calorie splurge, venture on down the page for the recipe.
These are going to be my new go-to for picnics, barbecues and reunions. They’re so easy to make, and if they aren’t the tastiest things I’ve had in a long, long time. I have to confess, though, I used biscuit mix rather than making my own biscuits. I know, I know… lazy way out… but the way I see it, is sometimes you have to go for quick and good rather than made-entirely-from-scratch and good. Sacrifices.
So use whatever biscuit dough you like… either one from a can or your own out-of-this-world biscuit dough recipe. I use the jumbo buttermilk biscuits because they cook up so soft and fluffy. And what could be better than fluffy biscuit cups topped with beef doused in sweet barbecue sauce and cheddar cheese? It just doesn’t get better than that.
If you’re wondering if these freeze well, they do. At least for a couple of weeks — ours never last beyond that. Just pop one or two into the microwave, heat for 60-90 seconds and you’re good to go.
These barbecue beef cups are amazing with mashed potatoes. Or mac and cheese. Or homemade fries. And yep, even the kids will devour them. I know our kid did!
Barbecue Beef Cups
Yield 12 beef cups
A wonderful combination of savory and sweet, these barbecue beef cups are sure to become a favorite with the kids. What an easy weeknight meal!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 med. yellow onion, chopped
- 1 c. barbecue sauce (we prefer sweet ones, like honey barbecue)
- 1/4 c. ketchup
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 1 can jumbo biscuits
- 1.5 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brown ground beef and onion together over medium-high heat. Drain.
- Return beef and onions to skillet, add barbecue sauce, ketchup, brown sugar and 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spray a 12-count muffin tin with cooking spray. Divide the biscuits between the 12 cups. Push the dough up the sides to form a cup shape.
- Fill cups with 1/4 c. beef mixture each, and top with a pinch of cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.